Let’s face it, hosting friends and family is already a large task, and adding the extra demands of the holidays can be stressful (read last year’s blog post on Mindfulness During the Holidays). Luckily, transforming your extra room into a cozy haven for your guests doesn’t have to be a stressful task. In fact, with just a few thoughtful touches, you can create an inviting space that not only makes your guests feel at home but also immerses them in the magic of the holidays.
Today, we’re giving you five tips to help ensure your guests have the best possible stay this holiday season!
- Clean Up and Make Space: This one may be obvious, but be sure you’re not only providing your guest with a clean room, but that you’re also giving them plenty of space to put their belongings. Its easy for a guest room to become a catch-all when it’s not in use so clear out the closet and any drawers you have for your guest to unpack and make themselves feel at home during their stay.
- Prepare and Stock Up on Essentials: Anticipate your guests’ needs by preparing the essentials ahead of time. Make sure the guest room is stocked with fresh towels, extra blankets, and a variety of toiletries such as shampoo, conditioner, and soap. You could even go the extra mile by providing a phone charger, a house key if they’ll be coming and going on their own, and a hand-written note with the Wi-Fi password for their convenience.
- Add Some Holiday Spirit: Whether your guest room can fit a whole Christmas tree or just a few festive throw pillows and patterned blankets, make the most of the holiday with some decorations. This will make their space extra warm and inviting throughout the whole trip.
- Light a Candle Upon Their Arrival: To make their stay even cozier, provide a candle (preferably a mild holiday scent) and have it lit when they arrive. Try one of these Cyprus & Fir scented candles from Paddywax to make it truly feel like Christmas.
- Add Fresh Flowers Nearby for an Extra Touch: Flowers not only add a touch of elegance but also bring a breath of fresh air to the room. Consider seasonal blooms in festive colors to tie in with the holiday theme.
Whether you’re hosting for a few nights or a few weeks, giving your guest an inviting place to stay will give everyone in your home peace of mind and personal space this holiday season. So put up some decorations, write a thoughtful note and, most importantly, enjoy the time you have together.