It may be cliche to say that starting your morning off right will set you up for a successful day, but its only cliche because it’s true! Imagine, if you will, your ideal morning—you get up with (or before!) your first alarm, you workout and meditate before making yourself a healthy breakfast, you get ready for work with time to spare, and then you leave the house clean and tidy with a fresh cup of coffee in hand. Sound idyllic? Maybe it is. Or maybe you’re that someone who’s already checking off those boxes (we’re looking up to you!). But if you’re like the rest of us, even one of those steps added into your morning routine would make a positive impact on your day, and with consistency, on your life.
Are you ready to step up your morning routine and prioritize your self-care? Here are 8 steps to get you started!
- Make your bed: There’s just something about a well-made bed that makes you feel accomplished. Start your day off with that feeling and give yourself a comfortable and clean place to come back to after a long day.
- Stay off of your phone: How many of us start our day by rolling over, stopping the alarm on our phones, and then scrolling/reading emails to “wake up”? Protect yourself from the inevitable stress response of seeing work emails, news blasts, and the massive barrage of notifications waiting for you—that’s just it, they can wait!
- Water before coffee: This one is hard to say, but before you dive into that glorious first cup of Joe, try to drink at least 8 ounces of water. Think about it—you’ve been asleep for (hopefully) 6-8 hours, odds are you’re already a bit dehydrated. Water will help your entire body wake up and get moving before you drink anything caffeinated (and dehydrating).
- Move your body: Another great way to connect your brain to your body is to get moving—whatever that means to you. You might consider running a half marathon a “light workout” or maybe your limit is just a few easy stretches, but both get the job done! The goal is to get your body moving so you can stay centered, focused, and energized throughout your day.
- Wash your face: Both a great way to wake up, and keep your skin refreshed. You don’t have to have an elaborate 12 step routine, but what a better way to show yourself self-care on a regular basis than by keeping up with something that keeps you looking and feeling your freshest. And seriously, don’t skip the SPF!
- Eat a healthy breakfast: Like drinking water before coffee, eating a nutrient-dense breakfast within one hour of waking up is another way to get your body and mind in synch. A simple protein smoothie, overnight oats, or avocado toast will set you up for success and keep you from crashing later in the day.
- Take time for yourself: Set aside some time during your morning that is entirely yours—do you like to write morning pages, read, meditate, journal? Do what helps you feel grounded and connected to yourself before taking care of everything around you. Even if you only get 5 minutes, it’s your 5 minutes well spent.
- Create/review your daily to-do list and goals: Take the the time to look over your schedule and tasks for the day and make a game plan. After you’ve taken the time to care for yourself, you should be refreshed, energized, and ready to tackle what the day has in store!
While you probably won’t have time for all of these, and this isn’t a list you need to follow in any particular order, each of these steps are a great place to start if you’re looking for strong, self-care centered ways to begin your day. And since good habits beget other good habits, who knows how long it’ll take for you to check a few more of these steps off of your morning routine list!