Here at MOD, we are no strangers to Meal Prep. From giving you all the benefits, to meal ideas and cooking tool suggestions, we love how it can be game-changer for our busy clients looking to maintain a nutritious diet while still saving time during the week. However, we know the process can be overwhelming up front, which is why this week we’re providing you with 8 time-saving tips for efficient meal prepping. From multitasking to shortcuts to bulk batches—let’s get prepping!
1. Plan Ahead
- Weekly Menu Planning: Create a weekly menu in advance, focusing on recipes that share common ingredients to minimize waste and preparation time.
- Batch Cooking: Especially if you’re planning on sharing ingredients, plan on making large batches of staple foods like grains, proteins, and veggies.
2. Keep Your Kitchen Organized
- Check Your Inventory: Regularly take stock of kitchen staples and perishables to avoid overbuying or running out of essential items like spices, grains, and other useful meal prep necessities.
- Optimize Your Storage: Use labels, tiered shelving, and clear containers for easy identification of ingredients, and to keep items in your fridge/freezer organized and easy to access.
3. Use Efficient Cooking Techniques
- Multitasking: Utilize multiple cooking methods simultaneously. Try roasting veggies while boiling grains, washing fruits, etc.
- One-Pot/ Sheet-Pan Meals: Prepare meals that can be cooked in a single pot or sheet pan to reduce prep, cooking, and cleanup time.
4. Prepping Shortcuts
- Pre-cut and Washed Produce: If you’re really looking to save time, buy pre-cut or pre-washed fruits and vegetables to save time on preparation.
- Frozen Ingredients: Utilize frozen fruits, veggies, and proteins as more convenient alternatives when fresh options are unavailable or time-consuming.
5. Utilize Time-Saving Appliances
- Slow Cooker or Instant Pot: The perfect way to make soups, stews, and other meals that can cook while you’re working or away from the kitchen.
- Food Processor: Speed up chopping, slicing, and shredding with useful tools like these that we reviewed for you on our YouTube channel!
- Air Fryer: Nothing saves time and makes more delicious meals quite like an air fryer. It’s a fast way to prepare proteins or even vegetables for a week of meals.
6. Meal Prep Kits and Subscription Services
- Pre-Made Kits: Consider using meal prep kits or subscription services like Hello Fresh or Blue Apron that provide pre-portioned ingredients and recipes tailored to your dietary preferences and family size.
7. Clean As You Go
- Ongoing Cleanup: Wash dishes, wipe down surfaces, and organize ingredients as you progress through the meal prepping process to maintain a clean kitchen and workspace.
- Post-Prep Organization: After completing your prep, take a few minutes to organize your fridge and pantry, making it easier to locate items during the busy week ahead, (and also set your next meal prep session up for success!)
8. Get Help!
- Enlist Your Personal Assistant’s Help: Remember that meal prep, while being a useful tool for saving time during the week, does still take time up front. So if you’re looking for someone to alleviate you from the stress of the entire process, you know where to find us! Our Personal Assistants can help you plan, shop, prep, and cook for your busy week ahead.
So if you’re looking to incorporate Meal Planning into your year, try our 8 time-saving tips for more efficient meal prepping. And if you love the idea of saving some time (and money) by eating out less during your week, but can’t seem to find the time in your schedule to prep, get in touch with us below!